Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Daniel Fast; Day 1


Well today definitely did not go as planned. 

Today was Day 1 of my Daniel Fast. But, it got a little messed up, thanks to the fact that I woke up puking. So I didn't necessarily break my fast on day one. I still only ate fruits and vegetables. But it wasn't any different than any other day if I was sick. So I didn't really put much thought into it, seeing as I was sleeping over 3/4 of my day. 

Today's challenge was to pray for your family, your immediate family. Parents and siblings. 

This was surprisingly a major struggle for me. 

Praying for the people you are supposed to be the closest to? The people you live with? Sounds easy right? 

Not for me.

I am one in a family of 8. 
Three sisters. 
Two brothers. 
Mom. 
Dad. 


We aren't different from any other family. We aren't perfect. We still have our problems. There are things I like and dislike about everyone. But in the end, we are all family. We have all had our ups and downs with each other. I have fought with every sibling, and both parents. I have had good time with all of them as well though. I like focusing on those times better. 

Daddy:)
Just last week, Dad took me out on a Daddy/Daughter date. He took me to a movie, and we had an absolute blast! It was a fun night. I haven't seen my dad laugh that hard for that long in such a long time! 
(We saw Joyful Noise. If you haven't seen it, I highly suggest you do!)

Mommas:)
Since the adoption, Mom and I have had some of the best and worst times together. We are home along with the kids the most, and we go crazy together. No one quite understands why we are the way we are, but my mom is like seriously the closest thing I have to a 'best friend'. 

Katylynn:)
Kat is my oldest sister. She's 22. Always been someone for me to talk to, about anything. She has the best advice. I love talking to her. Sometimes she'll come over, and we'll just sit there and talk. She's been the one there for me always and forever. I don't remember a time when she hasn't been there for me. 

Elizabeth:) 
Elizabeth is 20, and right above me in the birth order. She's the most 'girly' one out of all of us. I most definitely am not a 'girly girl'. I'm not saying I'm a tom boy either, but Elizabeth was the one who taught me how to be a girl. She taught me about make up, and about hair. She knows how to make me smile, in my worst times. After my boyfriend broke up with me, Elizabeth, my mom, and I were at Leatherby's. To make me smile, I look up and she's being really quiet. I looked at her and she looks at me and says "I don't know if this makes you feel any better or anything, but you're a better girlfriend than I am. You lasted with him longer than I have with all my boyfriends put together." I don't know why that made me smile, but it did. 

Sam:) 
Sam is the best little big brother ever! He's taller than me now. But still a younger brother. He gets on my nerves like every other family member, but he still looks up and asks me for help with his homework, or if his shirt matches with what he's wearing. I love that he looks up to me and respects my opinion. Its the little things every day that make it all worth the fights. 

Tsehay:) 
Tsehay came home about 9 and a half months ago. And at first we thought it was going to be a long hard road with her. The first night she came home she screamed crying for home until 4 in the morning. But things only have gotten easier since then. She has brought nothing but joy into our household. She definitely has her little girl attitude, but what little girl doesn't? She fits perfectly into our family. I love it when she comes to me and just wants to cuddle. Or to read a book. Or to sing a song. Or just for a hug. She's the best little sister ever. When I asked for a little sister, she is exactly what I had in mind.


Fekadu:)
9 and a half months ago, this little boy just walked into our family full of laughter and happiness. 'A bundle of joy' is the best thing to describe him. Every day, multiple times a day, he will walk up and ask "You wanna play game? Trouble? Mancala?" He wants nothing more than some love and quality time. Today he did the cutest thing ever. I was sick all day, just laying on the couch. And he came up to me and said "You feeling better?" When I responded with no, he told me he was going to go upstairs and pray and when I woke up in the morning that I would feel better because "Jesus would heal you in your sleep." 




So to continue our 40 day fast, tomorrow's challenge: 

Day 12: Love lets the other win.
Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.
—Philippians 2:4 
TODAY’S DARE
Demonstrate love by willingly choosing to give in to an area of disagreement between you and a friend. Tell them you are putting their preference first. 

And for tomorrow I want you to pick three friends to pray for specifically. Whether they are Christians, or not. There is always something to pray about for everyone. 

Until tomorrow.. 
xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment